IN THE BEGINNING…..
The idea of a local volunteer ambulance corps was spearheaded by the Little Neck Lions Club under the leadership of Al Houghton. This idea soon became a reality and to the credit of practically all civic, fraternal, religious organizations, and clubs in the area, cooperation was not lacking. The Little Neck-Douglaston Community Ambulance Corps became a defining accomplishment of Little Neck and Douglaston in 1958.
|The Lions Club first loaned $500 to purchase equipment, but later turned it into a contribution. The first ambulance was a second hand 1947 Buick donated by the Bayside Volunteer Ambulance Corps on January 12th, 1958.
To house the ambulance, a garage on Pembroke Avenue was rented. Active operations began on March 30th, 1958 with 34 attendants qualified in first aid. Twenty-five hours after service began, the Corps got it’s first call and took a heart victim to North Shore Hospital (now known as North Shore University Hospital).
Initially, calls were accepted only through a doctor or the police, but by the fall of the first year, calls were accepted from any resident.
|In the first month of its existence, the ambulance corps started a house-to-house canvass for funds with a goal of $15,000. Simultaneously, calls for additional volunteers were echoed.
This canvass for funds and volunteers still continues at the present time…..
FINDING A PERMANENT HOME……
After only a few years in existence, the Ambulance Corps had quickly outgrown its rented home on Pembroke Avenue. A search to find a permanent home for the Little Neck – Douglaston Community Ambulance Corps had begun!
In 1961, the Ambulance Corps bought property on Marathon Parkway, in Little Neck to build a permanent headquarters. The property on Marathon Parkway was an ideal location due to its proximity to the center of the Ambulance Corps’ response area.
The ground-breaking ceremony for the future home of the Little Neck-Douglaston Community Ambulance Corps took place in September of 1961. The ceremony was heavily-attended by local residents, politicians, clergy, and of course, members of the Ambulance Corps. Virtually, all in attendance took turns “breaking ground” for the new home.
The dedication for the new headquarters was held on April 29, 1962. As before, the dedication ceremony was heavily-attended by local residents, politicians, clergy, and members of the Ambulance Corps. The excitement about the Ambulance Corps could be felt throughout the community.
From the beginning, the Little Neck – Douglaston Community Ambulance Corps has always put an endless effort in maintaining ambulances that will be available for any emergency. From our first ambulance in 1958, to our most recent ambulance in 2018, all of our ambulances have received the best treatment.
|Our first ten ambulances were all car-type ambulances (mostly Cadillacs). Ambulance #11 (1981) was a van-based ambulance. Ambulance #s 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 have all been Type-III modular ambulances built on a Ford E-350 chassis.
The Little Neck – Douglaston Community Ambulance Corps has served our community with 57+ years of service. We own our building, which serves as our office for our volunteers and garage for our two modern, state of the art ambulances. Our Emergency Medical Technicians are fully trained and certified by the New York State Department of Health to provide basic life support to our patients from the time we arrive until the time we transfer them to the hospital. We are constantly striving to raise funds and recruit new volunteers to support the organization.
YOUR help is essential to continue the tradition started by YOUR Community Ambulance Corps in 1958.